Indulge in a healthier yet delectable treat with this Avocado Brownie recipe! It has lower sugar than other versions and is gestational diabetes-friendly! Packed with healthy fats from avocados and nut butter plus rich antioxidant-containing cacao make these brownies a superfood in pregnancy. This recipe not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also incorporates nutritious ingredients.
Health Benefits of Avocado Brownies
Avocado brownies are not just about indulgence; they come with a host of health benefits, making them an excellent choice at every stage of life for health-conscious individuals. Avocados are a rich source of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. They contribute to heart health and help in maintaining healthy skin and hair. Fats balance blood sugar and help fat-soluble vitamins get absorbed.
The Best Avocado Brownies (Low Carb, Fudgey,& Flourless)
- Parchment paper
- 9 inch square baking pan
- Preheat and Prep: Start by preheating your oven to 325ºF. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper to ensure easy removal of brownies after baking.
- Blend Ingredients: In a food processor, combine the peeled and pitted ripe avocado, cacao powder, eggs (or duck egg), coconut sugar, cashew butter, baking powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Blend these ingredients until you achieve a smooth and consistent mixture.
- Add Chocolate Chips: After achieving a smooth batter, fold in the dark chocolate chips. For those who prefer smaller chocolate bits, process the batter for an additional 10 seconds to break the chips into smaller pieces.
- Baking Preparation: Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. For an extra chocolatey experience, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking.
- Baking Process: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake at 325ºF for 40 minutes. The brownies should be cooked through but still moist inside.
- Cooling and Serving: Once baked, remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely in the dish. This step is crucial for the brownies to set properly. For an added touch of flavor and elegance, sprinkle salt flakes on top just before serving.
- Enjoy Your Brownies: Once cooled, cut the brownies into 1-inch squares. Serve and enjoy this delightful, healthier version of a traditional favorite.
Variations of the Recipe
- Vegan Option: For a vegan version of these avocado brownies, replace eggs with a flaxseed or chia seed egg substitute. This not only caters to dietary preferences but also adds an extra dose of fiber.
- Nut-Free Alternative: If you’re allergic to nuts, substitute cashew butter with sunflower seed butter or tahini for a nut-free variant while still enjoying the creamy texture.
- Flavor Twists: Feel free to experiment with additional ingredients like a pinch of cinnamon, a sprinkle of espresso powder, or even a handful of nuts for added texture and flavor.
Tips for Perfect Avocado Brownies
- Ripe Avocado: Ensure your avocado is ripe and soft. This is crucial for achieving a smooth, creamy batter without any lumps.
- Quality of Ingredients: Use high-quality cacao powder and dark chocolate chips for the best flavor. The quality of these ingredients significantly impacts the overall taste of the brownies.
- Don’t Overmix: While it’s important to blend the ingredients well, overmixing can lead to a denser texture. Blend just until the ingredients are combined.
- Baking Time: Keep an eye on the brownies during the last few minutes of baking. Overbaking can dry them out, while underbaking will make them too gooey.
- Cooling Time: Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting. This step is essential for the brownies to set and develop the right texture.
- Storage: Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container. They can also be refrigerated for a firmer texture or frozen for longer storage.
Incorporating avocados into your brownie recipe is a fantastic way to enjoy a guilt-free, nutritious, and delicious dessert. With the versatility to adapt to various dietary needs and preferences, avocado brownies are a sure way to impress both health enthusiasts and dessert lovers. Give this recipe a try and experience the joy of baking a healthier yet equally delicious version of this classic treat.
Ginger Cochran is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, functional medicine practitioner, Certified Diabetes Educator & Care Specialist, Certified Wellness Coach, Certified Exercise Physiologist, and owner of Nutritious Ginger, an integrative and functional nutrition practice focusing on full body self-care and nourishment. Ginger’s primary specialty is women’s health, with a special emphasis on gestational diabetes, weight management, infertility, digestive wellness, and overall health + happiness.
Ginger serves on the board of director for the Nutrition Care Manual by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.